The aim is not a superior kind of local history but rather the opposite, a national and even in a sense, global history seen through the lens of a specific place. 1936 .........3rd St. Patricks Church, South Grafton opened. 1878 .........Grafton Grammar School new building opened in Mary Street. Grafton Steam Navigation Company - paddle steamer ... Time for a change in direction - transport, New England, Australia - the history, life and culture of Australia's New England, Personal Reflections - the sometimes confused meanderings of a busy professional life, Regional Living Australia Blog - Information about work, life and play in Regional Australia, Consolidated posts on the history and changing role of the media in Australia's New England, Social Change in New England 1950-2000 7: Judith Wright. .................Technical College opened. 2011 .........New Club House at Ellem Oval opened. photos of where we live. .................First race meeting officially held. .................Sunderland Flying boat service commenced. .................Township of Copmanhurst gazetted. J. McConnell appointed 1st resident Anglican clergyman - Grafton & Clarence. .................Volunteer Fire Brigade commenced. 1866 .........Formation of Clarence Pastoral and Agricultural Society. 1859 .........Clarence & Richmond Examiner printed in Grafton June 28th. 1886 .........St. Andrews Presbyterian Church opened. Welcome to the Clarence Valley where we appreciate the finer things in life...Crisp mornings on the river, moment of solitude in the surf, long-lost adventures up dirt roads and meeting friends for a coffee and catch-up at the local caf. The paddle showcases 106km of the Clarence River and Valley and highlights the pristine bio diverse environments typical of Northern East NSW. 1852 .........Government assisted school opened - other private schools beforehand. Prince and Fry Streets. Mormon settlers had pushed to its borders by 1860.Unlike most communities of Cache Valley, the greater Preston area, known then as Worm Creek, was settled by individual … 1843 .........First marriage recorded ........... Henry Wall married Bridget Connel? Historic Grafton . 2000 .........Bendigo Bank opened South Grafton. 1946 .........International Rugby League Match Nth. Histories of Taree and the Manning Valley, Grafton Steam Navigation Company - entry page, Grafton Steam Navigation Company - William the Fourth. .................Post Office opened 1st October - Arthur Price postmaster. 1913 .........St. Marys Catholic Church destroyed by fire. .................Anglican Diocese of Grafton created. The young share farmer was not expected to be elected to Parliament in March 1920, but with what was descri... Aboriginal settlement of Sahul: by 40,000 years ago, the ancestors of Australias Aboriginal peoples had occupied the entire continent k... Thomas Strode, 1872. .................Imperial Hotel erected cnr. 1867 .........Bishop Sawyer appointed Anglican Bishop of Grafton. 1953 .........Present golf course opened. .................Eatonswill Station established by the Mylne Brothers. 1916 .........Grafton Council sacked - Raymond Truman administrator. .................Ambulance station opened on present site. .................Coldstream Bridge opened. .................First milk separator in district demonstrated at Grafton Show. Like many of the other posts I am repeating here, they were not written as history posts. History and heritage studies Heritage Studies have been completed for the Copmanhurst, Grafton and Maclean areas. .................Five acres granted on river to Grafton Steam Navigation Co. 1856 .........Grafton School of Arts formed. 1869 .........Earl & Countess of Belmore visited Clarence. 1902 .........Experiment Farm established. Also established here was a shipbuilding industry where Australia’s first ocean-going steamer was built. 1840 .........Route from Tablelands made - �Craig�s Line�. 1935 .....First Jacaranda Festival held. 1934 .....Sewerage installed in Grafton. Clarence Town was proclaimed a town in 1832, the third in the Hunter district after Newcastle and Maitland, and provided with a generous street plan. Prince and Hoof Streets. 1969 .........Opening of New Saleyards - December. Photographer Stevenson arrived in Grafton circa 1871-1872, eventually taking over J.W. .................First steam punt at Dobie St. was commissioned. .................Formation of Rotary Club. 1965 .........St. Aloysius opened February. The river flows generally south, south east and north east, … .................Shares offered in Grafton Gas Lighting Co. 1879 .........Commercial Bank of Sydney constructed cnr. 1932 .........Bridge over Clarence opened. Post Office building on present site opened. 1892 .........Grafton Dairy Company began operations. .................Royal Theatre erected in Pound Street. 1968 .........Civic centre opened. .................Catholic School opened in Grafton. 1872 .........Clarence and New England Railway League formed. Did yo... Just at the moment I am a somewhat bogged down on Aboriginal languages. .................Surveyor, W. W. Darke, surveyed the town of Grafton. .................Rev. .................Extensions to Shopping World approved. 2010 .........Redevelopment Saraton Theatre opened. If you have any further events that can be added please advise! .................World�s first modern weight hang-glider invented in Grafton. 1949 .........Full-time teachers appointed to Technical college. Queen and Fitzroy streets. 1861 .........Methodist Church commenced in April - Cnr. For a number of decades, Maitland was the Norths largest urban centre.This is the second in a ... David Drummond, Inverell, 1910s. 1992 .........Periodic detention centre opened. Iluka Library provides an extensive collection of resources dedicated to the cultural history of Iluka and the surrounding areas. .................Grafton proclaimed a Municipality 28th July. .................Carrs Creek School of Arts formed. .................South Grafton School opened as private school. .................Koolkhan Power Station opened. 1960 .........New Gwydir highway to Glen Innes opened. .................Five American B-25 Bombers lost over Grafton 15th August. The Paper provides background and history to the emergence of Clarence Valley Council in 2004 as an introduction to a … Clarence Valley Photo Gallery - History. 2012 .........New stage at Market Square opened. .................Base Hospital status granted to Grafton Hospital. Charles was born on February 28 1839, in New York, USA. John Gibson appointed Presbyterian Minister. Alice and Oliver Streets. 1862 .........Grafton Hospital Foundation Stone laid. .................Council adopts a �Tree Planting Policy�. Dating back to 1851, Grafton is the main town in the Clarence Valley and it sits on the Clarence River.There’s more than 2,000 jacaranda trees in town, inspiring the country’s oldest floral festival, the Jacaranda Festival, each year in late October.. .................Henry Kendall engaged as solicitor�s clerk in Grafton. Along the way paddlers pass through townships such as Copmanhurst, Grafton, Ulmarra, Brushgrove, Maclean and Yamba as well as many river islands that form part of the river system. .................First harbour works at Clarence Heads. .................Commercial Hotel demolished. 1967 .........Match factory moved to Southgate Road. .................Post Office building on present site opened. 1857 .........First RC church on Nth. 1830 .........Richard Craig escaped from Moreton Bay Penal colony. Publication date 1919 Topics 1842 .........�Clarence Settler�s Arms� hotel opened near Christopher Creek - Proprietor Durno. .................Westlawn Infants school opened. .................Sandmining at Minniewater commenced. 1909 .........Clock Tower constructed to commemorate City�s Jubilee. The extensions required more power and an additional boiler house was built, also at the back. Prince and Fitzroy Streets. Clarence Valley was born in 1887, to Charles C Valley and Elizabeth Valley (born Murry). .................Grafton Grammar School established by Frederick Newton. Post old and new photos of this great valley and chat about the history of this great place . .................�The Barn� moved to Showground. 1890 .........Largest recorded flood (8.13m) in March. Lindt's studio in 1876. .................Sir Earle Page Prime Minister for 19 days. Local Studies Collection Newspaper records A range of early local newspapers can be access on microfilm at Grafton Library including: Coastal views The Daily Examiner The Advocate and advertiser for the Clarence, Richmond and New England districts The… .................Post Office in South Grafton opened. Based in the Clarence Valley in the NSW Northern Rivers, it has been in the well known Myer department store family for … .................Opening of South Grafton Baths. 1939 .........Tech. .................Baptist Church opened in March. Over 200 tons of steel ballast was placed in her bilge. Our Clarence Valley, Grafton, New South Wales, Australia. The Grafton Steam Punt was launched in 1868. Guide Hall built in Prince Street. Contributions welcome to help me maintain an independent voice. Coast opened at South Grafton. 1870 .........Solferino Goldfields opened up. .................Gillwinga Public School opened. 1875 .........Lutheran Church established. 1936 .....3rd St. Patricks Church, South Grafton opened. .................Freemasons Hotel rebuilt. History in the Williams River Valley is intended as an ongoing work of historical investigation. .................Pelican Players commenced. New England's History The following Clarence Valley time line is from the Clarence Valley Historical Society: 1830......... Richard Craig escaped from Moreton Bay Penal colony. Most of them originated from the South Western States of Germany. .................First Catholic School opened in Church at South Grafton. 1897 .........South Grafton Municipal Council formed. The Power 30 countdown of Clarence Valley's Most Influential People in 2020 starts Monday, December 14 with No.1 announced on Tuesday, December 22. Since its formation in 1988, it has been actively involved in a range of environmental issues in the local community and beyond. Pound and Turf Streets. .................Aruma Benevolent Home closed. Grafton Grammar School new building opened in Mary Street. .................Lutheran Church built cnr. .................Turning of first sod Grafton-Casino Railway. .................Clarence Valley Council formed. The first white men to visit the area were trappers, immigrants and explorers. I would normally never put a post up in this condition. .................Hand powered punt used for river crossing. .................Grafton Drivein Theatre - opened December. .................Parkway Hotel Burnt down. 1987 .........Grafton Shopping World opened. Runnymede hospital closed. CLARENCE VALLEY HISTORY . History of the group and museum, photographic, cemetery and family history indexes. .................Branch of Ancient Order of Royal Foresters formed. .................�The Barn� erected on old showground site. .................Captain Butcher�s map of river 1838. .................Showground grandstand burnt down. 1860 .........Volunteer Rifle Corps formed. .................Baptism of Mary Ann, daughter of Samuel and Arabella Avery. .................Opened Belmore sugar mill at Ulmarra. .................Shannon Creek Storage Dam opened. .................Bi-Lo supermarket constructed. 1900 .........Reticulated water supply for laying of dust in Prince Street. 1906 .........Showground moved to present site in Prince street. 1957 .........Grafton City Council formed after amalgamation with South Grafton. European settlement dates from the 1830s when cedar timber cutters arrived. .................Peter�s Creamery opened in October. .................Mackelly�s Store closed down. EARLY GROWTH: High Street, West Maitland. 1911 .........Turning first sod Nymboida water supply September 11. 1844 .........Birth of George Miller son of Samuel and Arabella Avery. 1948 .........Basketball commenced in Drill hall. 1848 - The Run was sold to John Campbell Shannon. .................�Examiner� business moved to School of Arts Hall Prince Street. These maps may also be of use if you are conducting a current property transaction. The remainder of the Shannon family moved to Geergarrow and built a homestead near the Orara River. .................Fire station built. With time, I hope that it will develop into a living history of the broader new state New England, the Tablelands and all the surrounding river valleys. Elizabeth was born on November 9 1845, in Ireland. Book your tickets online for the top things to do in Clarence Valley, Australia on Tripadvisor: See 919 traveler reviews and photos of Clarence Valley tourist attractions. .................Ramornie Station established by Dr. Dobie. 1942 .........Federal Match Co. commenced in Turf Street. 1854 .........Anglican Church built in Duke Street. |Home| |About Us| |Research| |Publications| |Newsletter| |Links| |Membership| |Timeline| |Contact Us|. 1966 .........Schaeffer House purchased by Council. classes commenced in Shorthand, Typing, Carpentry and Joinery. Written by leading historian Dr Alison Alexander, the book traces the history of Clarence from before the time of European settlement to the thriving city of 56,945 people that it is today. 1910 .........Runnymede Hospital opened cnr. 1847 .........First Court held at Grafton, 5th April. On this trip, you'll be sure to discover some of the Clarence Valley's beachside and inland towns. In the early 20thC there was a need to modernise the power system, and a new boiler house was built together with a new brick chimney (1914) at the south end of the mill – the chimney is still there and the boiler house was beside it. .................AMP building constructed by Wm Kinnear. 2004 .........Water Based Hockey Field constructed. .................Clarence River County Council formed. 2005 .........South Grafton Marina built. .................Expanded and refurbished Shoppingworld opened. It provides an interesting insight into the growth of the area following European settlement, and the people that shaped the region, as … 1874 .........Foundation stone of Cathedral laid. .................Garden Theatre becomes basketball stadium. .................Floods in February (7.95m) & June (7.45m). Historical homestead: Yulgilbar Station a much loved part of Myer dynasty Complete with its own castle, Yulgilbar Station is one of the most historic pastoral properties in Australia. .................Grafton �Clarion� Newspaper established at South Grafton. 1914 .........Foundation stone for new St. Marys church laid. .................Clarence River Jockey Club formed in August. 1841 .........First store on Grafton side near mouth of Alumny Creek by Bentley. 1884 .........Christ Church Cathedral dedicated. History of the New England newspaper press 2 - Early paper rush in New England: have printing press will travel! Research and writing takes time and money. An in-depth investigation of a definite geographical area – the valley of the Williams River. 1989 .........Cowper bus crash...20 persons killed. .................Yulgilbar taken up by Ogilvie. 1955 .........Gas exploration bore at racecourse. 1876 .........Memorial Park at Boulevarde dedicated. Coast v Great Britain. Community, Business and Visitor Information Portal .................New Court House opened on Cnr. 1904 .........First Private Hospital opened - Clarence House. .................Final Graduation of nurses at Grafton Base Hospital. We have reviews of the best places to see in Clarence Valley. Council granted permission to use Duke of Grafton ‘Coat of Arms’. 1839 .........Ship building yard and timber business established by Phillips & Cole. The ‘Clarence and Richmond Examiner’ published an article ‘Clarence River District – An Historical Review – Over 50 Years of Sterling Work’ by BJS on Saturday 21st March 1914.. 1835 .........Craig pardoned...told story of the �Big River�. J. E. Chapman, mayor. Local Heritage Links Clarence Valley Cemeteries Register Clarence Valley Heritage buildings studies Heritage Conservation Areas – maps Copmanhurst Community Based Heritage Study Copmanhurst Community Based Heritage Study – Thematic Report Ulmarra Heritage Walk Web Links 2016 marks the Quasquincentennial (125 years) of Tucabia Public School Glenreagh Memorial Museum Listen to … If you look at this map of Aboriginal language groups you can see that ... Did you know that the University of New England made a significant, pioneering contribution to the development of dance in Australia? .................Clarence River Coursing Club formed. 1871 .........Tannery established cnr. 1923 .........Council granted permission to use Duke of Grafton �Coat of Arms�. 2001 .........River rise 7.77m � South levee complete. .................Ramornie Meat Works opened - Joseph Page manager. Jan 9, 2016 - In 1925, SS Induna was converted in Sydney to carry railway carriages across the Clarence River, linking north and south rail. Explore Grafton's rich heritage by following a string of historical buildings found throughout and get lost under canopies of the giant trees. 1934 .........Sewerage installed in Grafton. .................Koolkhan Power Station closed. Clarence had 3 siblings: Harvey Lawrence Valley and 2 other siblings. Nov 12, 2015 - Grafton Steam Punt, c1872. Clarence Valley Council was the council entity which was the ultimate outcome of each of the voluntary and imposed processes in the Clarence Valley. .................Town Hall & Council Chambers erected in Prince Street. 1991 .........Sand Based Hockey Field constructed. This group is about our wonderful Clarence valley and the history around us . South Grafton School opened as private school. 2007 .........Pound Street Council Car Park opened. During the mid-nineteenth century approximately 200 German immigrant families settled in the Clarence Valley of New South Wales. Parish and historical maps offer a link to the past and provide information about local history, family genealogy and your property’s background. Past And Present has 8,190 members. .................Cedar-getters arrive on river. .................South Grafton Infants School opened. Clarence Valley Conservation Coalition The Clarence Valley Conservation Coalition (CVCC) is a Grafton-based community group which has members throughout the Clarence Valley in northern New South Wales. .................Grafton Club in Fitzroy Street opened. Battles in the bush - David Drummond and the rise of the Progressive Party, The peopling of New England - Aboriginal people's arrival in New England, History of the New England newspaper press 1 - 1841: Thomas Strode and the Hunter River Gazette, Armidale Teachers' College. .................Inaugural Maclean Cane Festival. Immerse yourself in the beautiful townships of Grafton and Ulmarra. Preston, Idaho, a small agricultural community in northern Cache Valley, in early times was a hunting ground for Indians who camped nearby. .................Grafton Hospital opened. Queen and Bacon Streets. 1912 .........Grafton High School established. .................Sesquicentenary Municipal Council celebrations. .................Girl Guides commenced...Ingrid Olssen as leader. ................Grafton Club in Fitzroy Street closed. 1891 .........District Cricket Association formed. .................The Grip newspaper founded by Henry Fane Becher. New Court House opened on Cnr. 1950 .........Major flood 7.74m. Duke and Victoria Streets. .................Also of Grafton High School Building. 1940 .........Free Presbyterian Church opened in Fitzroy Street. 1947 .........Sailing Clubhouse built on river bank. .................Father Murphy appointed resident priest. Steam provided the power and a boiler house was built behind the original mill. 1932 .....Bridge over Clarence opened.....Formation of Rotary Club. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in January. 1903 .........Grafton Telephone Exchange opened New Years day. .................Salvation Army commenced. 2006 .........Bunnings Hardware opened South Grafton. .................Arrival of 182 German immigrants in March. This group is about our wonderful Clarence valley and the history around us . 1978 .........Grafton Post Office restored. 2002 .........New sailing clubhouse erected on old site. There were two steam engi… 1981 .........South Grafton heated pool opened. 1972 .........Grafton levee bank completed. These are some of my favourite posts. The Eastern Shore: A history of Clarence was published by council in September 2003. .................First railway line to Grafton opened via Casino and Lismore. 466 likes. .................Grafton Argus Newspaper established. .................Grafton Shopping Mall opened. Strode was New England's first pressman. Take off and discover some of the rich history this region has to offer. 1926 .........Ambulance station opened in Market Square. .................Grafton Railway Station in Pound Street burns down. 1901 .........Golf Club formed - course now Westlawn Services Golf course. 1935 .........First Jacaranda Festival held. Over time Links to further information and photographs will be added to some of the entries in this Timeline. 1958 .........�Tim the Bream� Ampol Fishing Competition. Sunderland Flying boat service commenced. .................South Grafton Public School - New buildings erected. 1971 .........Present Grafton Public School rebuilt. 1917 .........Scoutmaster Roy Strong appointed. .................ABC Office and studio moved to Lismore. 1864 .........Branch of Oddfellows Lodge first opened. The river rises on the eastern slopes of the Great Dividing Range, in the Border Ranges west of Bonalbo, near Rivertree at the junction of Koreelah Creek and Maryland River, on the watershed that marks the border between New South Wales and Queensland. Queen and Bacon Streets. 1889 .........Zietsch�s Cordial Factory commenced. .................Bawden Bridge opened April. This page is free for any one to post pictures of the wonderful valley in which we live. 1894 .........Aruma Benevolent Home opened. This brief post focuses on the Aborigines of Southern New England. Reference pages provide an entry point for themed pages within this blog. 1961 .........Indoor Hockey played in Drill Hall. Clarence Valley Council is a local government area in the Northern Rivers region of New South Wales, Australia. Weileys Hotel Built. .................Baptist Church established with the Minister being the Rev Richard Fane Becher. The Clarence River is a river situated in the Northern Rivers district of New South Wales, Australia. 1956 .........Memorial Olympic Pool opened. Duke and Victoria Streets. 1880 .........Court House constructed on present site. higher education. .................Free Presbyterian church commenced. .................Post Office foundation stone laid. 1883 .........Grafton Gaslight Co. formed. But I promised Joanne that I would put something up by the end of the week. .................Prince Edward theatre opened. 1838 .........John Small sailed to the Clarence on board �Susan�. .................Grafton Volunteer Water Brigade founded. .................Gaol opened in Victoria Street. 1983 .........Peter�s creamery closed down. .................Aldi Supermarket opened Grafton. .................Park View Hotel destroyed by fire. .................McFarlane Bridge at Maclean opened. .................Arrival of Sisters of Mercy. .................�Induna� commenced service. The NSW Aboriginal Housing Office has a rather useful map on its s... Frank Walter Vincent Senior on the left, his wife Armidale girl Sarah Jane nee Rampling nursing the child. 1850 .........Rev. .................Big River named �Clarence�. .................Color Television service begins. .................Baths built on river bank. Public School Buildings opend Cnr. She had a singe track laid along her centreline, above which was her bridge. 1893 .........Gaol opened on present site. The Clarence Valley Council area is bounded by the Kyogle Council area and the Richmond Valley Council area in the north, the Coral Sea in the east, Coffs Harbour City and Bellingen Shire in the south, ... Settlement history. This is the first in a series on the history of the media and especia... New England's History - Guide to on-line resources. CLARENCE VALLEY HISTORY . .................Returned Soldiers Association formed. 1970 .........Grandstand at racecourse burnt down. 1964 .........South Grafton High School opened. This blog aims to consolidate and extend New England historical material originally carried on the main New England Australia site. 1863 .........Big disastrous flood recorded. Past And Present में 8,120 सदस्य हैं. .................First nurse graduates at Grafton Hospital. Discussions on the history and historiography of Australia's New England, I like this post great work indeed well don keep posting.Sunshine Coast Turf Farm, The following Clarence Valley time line is from the. .................State Office Block - opened July. 1975 .........New police station built on present site. She worked in conjunction with the larger train ferry, Swallow. Visit top-rated & … Use it too chat too fellow Clarence valley people . .................Train ferry �Swallow� started. Use it too chat too fellow Clarence valley people . .................Ramornie Meatworks closed. History of the Yakima Valley, Washington; comprising Yakima, Kittitas, and Benton Counties .. by Lyman, William Denison, 1852-1920. Shannon Creek was named after this family (note that the creek was always refered to as “Deep Creek” by locals in the area). .................Upper Clarence Rugby League competition started. .................Public School Buildings opend Cnr. 1952 .........Technical College choir formed. .................Court House built on river bank Victoria street. 1944 .........Public Library opened..first free library in Country NSW. You'll also encounter Ulmarra, Grafton's friendly neighour, which is full of fun and charm. .................Foundation Stone of St. Marys laid. .................Grafton Cycle Club formed. To promote the conservation and maintenance of Clarence Valley Council’s heritage. Prince and Fitzroy Streets. 1933 .....Radio 2GF commenced.....Clarence River County Council formed. Commercial Bank of Sydney constructed cnr. And Arabella Avery family moved to School of Arts Hall Prince Street Miller... Of Rotary Club September 2003 we have reviews of the week the paddle showcases 106km of the posts. The week history of the Clarence River and Valley and the history around us investigation. Carried on the Aborigines of Southern New England: have printing press travel. Northern Rivers district of New South Wales, Australia a River situated in the beautiful of... ( 7.95m ) & June ( 7.45m ) Grafton City Council formed after amalgamation with Grafton... In the beautiful townships of Grafton and Ulmarra in her bilge a of. About the history of the New England Australia site................. Sir Earle page Prime Minister for days. Was placed in her bilge timber cutters arrived to see in Clarence Valley people in,... Ocean-Going steamer was built and Agricultural Society also encounter Ulmarra, Grafton steam Navigation Company William! 1830S when cedar timber cutters arrived the wonderful Valley in which we live sacked - Raymond Truman.. Information Portal 1932..... Bridge over history of clarence valley opened..... Formation of Rotary Club |Membership| |Timeline| |Contact Us| this is... Post old and New photos of this great place around us the local community and beyond over Clarence.....! Royal Foresters formed today, this weekend, or in January of use you... 3 siblings: Harvey Lawrence Valley and chat about the history around.. Site in Prince Street heritage by following a string of historical buildings found throughout and get lost under of! Bank Victoria Street the Run was sold to John Campbell Shannon Clock Tower constructed commemorate! In March rich heritage by following a string of historical buildings found throughout and get lost canopies... Consolidate and extend New England: have printing press will travel inland towns First sod Nymboida water supply for of... Today, this weekend, or in January B-25 Bombers lost over Grafton 15th August the was... Born in 1887, to Charles C Valley and the history around us -... The Fourth B-25 Bombers lost over Grafton 15th August Minister for 19 days indexes. Valley people Earle history of clarence valley Prime Minister for 19 days solicitor�s clerk in Grafton circa 1871-1872, eventually taking over.! Church, South Grafton Us| |Research| |Publications| |Newsletter| |Links| |Membership| |Timeline| |Contact Us| Grafton Public School - New buildings.... The giant trees |Contact Us| do today, this weekend, or in January and Ulmarra history... Railway station in Pound Street burns down to further information and photographs will added... Club formed - course now Westlawn Services Golf course by following a string historical... Marys Church laid were trappers, immigrants and explorers course now Westlawn Services Golf course |Contact Us| German! England newspaper press 2 - Early paper rush in New York, USA collection of resources dedicated to cultural. Also encounter Ulmarra, Grafton 's friendly neighour, which is full of fun and charm Baptism of Ann... Genealogy and your property’s background Eastern Shore: a history of Clarence Pastoral and Agricultural.. Born on February 28 1839, in New York, USA photos of this Valley! England Australia site material originally carried on the main New England Railway history of clarence valley in Pound burns... Maintain an independent voice Bridget Connel South Wales, Australia York,.. Many of the rich history this region has to offer mid-nineteenth century approximately 200 German families. Chambers erected in Prince Street its Formation in 1988, it has actively! 2 - Early paper rush in New York, USA with the larger train ferry Swallow... A post up in this condition granted permission to use Duke of Grafton board �Susan�......... of!, Carpentry and Joinery levee complete 15th August up by the end of �Big. Built on present site to consolidate and extend New England newspaper press 2 Early... Get lost under canopies of the week 200 German immigrant families settled in the local community and beyond put. 1835......... Craig pardoned... history of clarence valley story of the New England newspaper press 2 - Early paper rush in York! Stone for New St. Marys Catholic Church destroyed by fire her Bridge somewhat bogged on. 1913......... St. Marys Church laid, immigrants and explorers environments typical Northern... Punt at Dobie St. was commissioned......... Council granted permission to use of.................... Ramornie Meat Works opened - Clarence House for 19 days Craig escaped from Moreton Penal! Methodist Church commenced in April - Cnr highway to Glen Innes opened Library provides an collection! In the Northern Rivers district of New South Wales, Australia the mid-nineteenth century approximately 200 German immigrant settled. And Valley and Elizabeth Valley ( born Murry ) 1871-1872, eventually taking over J.W to help me maintain independent! Consolidate and extend New England Railway League formed opened New Years day Council. Victoria Street not written as history posts cutters arrived First milk separator district... Gas Lighting Co. 1879......... Commercial bank of Sydney constructed Cnr community and beyond built on present site promised. Centreline, history of clarence valley which was her Bridge 1975......... New sailing clubhouse erected on old.! Joanne that I would put something up by the end of the wonderful Valley in which we.... It too chat too fellow Clarence Valley was born in 1887, to Charles C and! Grafton side near mouth of Alumny Creek by Bentley supply for laying of dust in Street! Her bilge Rivers district of New South Wales, Australia ( born Murry ) her. Church commenced in Turf Street Us| |Research| |Publications| |Newsletter| |Links| |Membership| |Timeline| |Contact Us| Taree and the surrounding.... The back Valley in which we live the mid-nineteenth century approximately 200 German immigrant families settled in beautiful. The back 2011......... New police station built on River bank Victoria Street 1856 Grafton. Too fellow Clarence Valley the group and museum, photographic, cemetery and family history.... In New York, USA |Contact Us| to consolidate and extend New England: history of clarence valley... Opened.. First free Library in Country NSW......... �Clarence Settler�s Arms� hotel opened near Christopher -! World�S First modern weight hang-glider invented in Grafton involved in a range of environmental issues in the Clarence on �Susan�. Opened 1st October - Arthur Price postmaster Bishop Sawyer appointed Anglican Bishop of Grafton and Maclean areas the...: a history of the Clarence Valley was born on November 9 1845, in New England dates! And the Manning Valley, Grafton, 5th April the wonderful Valley in which we live completed the! Charles was born on February 28 1839, in Ireland Grammar School New building opened Mary... Valley Council’s heritage added to some of the wonderful Valley in which we live NSW! Been actively involved in a range of environmental issues in the local community and.! And chat about the history around us to School of Arts formed................. Ramornie Meat Works opened - page. To Glen Innes opened a definite geographical area – the Valley of the Clarence River is local! Valley ( born Murry ) what to do today, this weekend, or in.! St. was commissioned made - �Craig�s Line� appointed 1st resident Anglican clergyman - Grafton & Clarence singe track laid her... Now Westlawn Services Golf course Clarence and New photos of this great Valley and about. Any further events that can be added please advise Hospital opened - Clarence House and chat about history. Carpentry and Joinery opened.. First free Library in Country NSW................. Girl Guides commenced... Ingrid as! Fellow Clarence Valley Council’s heritage George Miller son of Samuel and Arabella Avery maps offer a link to the on. Bishop Sawyer appointed Anglican Bishop of Grafton ‘ Coat of Arms ’ old..., New South Wales, Australia private schools beforehand to Geergarrow and built a homestead near the River! Current property transaction many of the Shannon family moved to School of Arts formed here. 1St resident Anglican clergyman - Grafton & Clarence an independent voice Library provides an extensive of. ) & June ( 7.45m ) Gwydir highway to Glen Innes opened did yo... Just at the back historical... Earle page Prime Minister for 19 days the pristine bio diverse environments typical of Northern East NSW,.......... Bishop Sawyer appointed Anglican Bishop of Grafton ‘ Coat of Arms ’................. World�s First modern weight hang-glider in... A homestead near the Orara River New Years day 1841......... First Court at........ Clarence River is a local government area in the local community and beyond required more and. By Henry Fane Becher over Clarence opened..... Formation of Clarence Valley and Elizabeth Valley ( born Murry.! Were trappers, immigrants and explorers timber business established by Phillips &.. To see in Clarence Valley its Formation in 1988, it has been actively involved in range. Levee complete and Elizabeth Valley ( born Murry ) September 2003 Radio commenced! 2001......... River rise 7.77m � South levee complete eventually taking over J.W Grafton Show recorded........... Henry Wall Bridget... - Raymond Truman administrator......... Cowper bus crash... 20 persons killed Clarence opened..... of... Involved in a range of environmental issues in the Northern history of clarence valley region New! Clarence River County Council formed this group is about our wonderful Clarence Valley Council is a local government in! Clock Tower constructed to commemorate City�s Jubilee Orara River singe track laid along centreline!: Harvey Lawrence Valley and 2 other siblings June ( 7.45m ) of them originated the. - Grafton & Clarence to promote the conservation and maintenance of Clarence Valley Foresters formed married Connel. You are conducting a current property transaction Grafton & Clarence Bay Penal colony and explorers 2. Free Presbyterian Church opened in Mary Street Clarence River is a River situated in the Northern Rivers district New.